Got a Project? Host an MI Student!
The Faculty of Information at the University of Toronto is now accepting projects for Winter 2024 (January to April).
Process & Timeline:
- Submit Your MI Practicum Winter 2024 Project no later than Wednesday, November 15th, 2023 using our recruitment platform (Simplicity).
- If you are a first-time employer, please read the full instructions describing how to create an account and post your project.
- Projects are reviewed in consultation with our course instructors beginning November 16.
- Employers will be contacted by November 27 if their project requires adjustment.
- Projects are matched to students beginning November 30, 2023 and up to January 22, 2024.
- Successful matches are communicated to the student and the employer between November 30 and January 22.
- Practicum projects begin the week of January 22, 2024.
- Practicum projects end no later than April 5, 2024.
Practicum Project Requirements
- Practicum projects are 105 hours in length.
- Projects can be paid or unpaid.
- Projects must have a supervisor who is a professional in their field and has the capacity to supervise, give feedback, and support the student during the practicum.
- Students and supervisors work together to create a work plan outlining the scope and schedule of work.
- We recommend setting standing meeting times (weekly) with the students to support regular and ongoing communication.
- For any UNPAID practicum placements, employers are required to complete 2 documents:
- Letter to Placement Employers
- Student Placement Agreements
- If you would like to review these agreements in advance, please get in touch so we can send them to you directly. These agreements must be completed before the project begins.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
When will the employer know that their project is approved and matched with a student?
- Projects will be approved and matched on a rolling basis. The approval process is dependent on many factors such as project suitability to the MI program and student interest and availability. Employers will be notified whether their project was approved or not approved by mid-January 2024.
What if an iSchool Master of Information student has already contacted me and I would like for them to work on a project?
- For students that have already found an organization to work with for the Practicum course, they will fill out a separate form and our course instructor will approve the projects. Students must inform the Faculty of Information no later than Nov 15, 2023. If the project meets the course requirements, the student will get a conditional approval after which the Careers team will reach out to the employer to confirm the project and student match.
When is the earliest that a student can start their project with the employer?
- Classes for the Winter 2024 semester begin on Jan 8 and supervisors can start working with their students as early as Jan 15, 2024. Most projects begin the week of January 22, 2024.
For questions about the practicum project timeline, project approval, and selection process, please contact the Faculty of Information Careers Team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.